For a list of the rewards obtained during the additional
investigations, go to Additional Investigation/Rewards
Additional Investigation is the post-indictment chapter (or also known as chapter 4) of every case that you will help the suspects that were proven innocent for said cases and obtain some rewards along the way.
In every single case after the killer is arrested, with the exception of the first case in Grimsborough, titled The Death of Rose Wolf, you MUST complete the final chapter of the case called additional investigation to unlock the next case.
In this chapter, the player must check up on some of the characters who were suspected, but turned out to be innocent. The tasks range from helping out innocent suspects who are in need of something, get more information about the most suspicious, or even catching post-murder findings (such as drug dealings).
In some circumstances, there will be innocent suspects who the player will have to help by examining an item before investigating a crime scene. The player MUST examine the item before investigating a scene where their help is required. Sometimes the innocent suspect already has something in mind and will tell the player a list of tasks he/she need help on, so the player will only be able to investigate, examine, analyze (if necessasry), and report back to the innocent suspect.
For Grimsborough, only one suspect needs to be spoken to in the first case titled "The Death of Rosa Wolf". Two suspects will need to be spoken to in the cases of Corpse in a Garden, It All Ends Here, A Brave New World, and There Will Be Blood, but in the latter case one suspect will have to be dealt with one at a time. Starting with the case The Grim Butcher and continuing till the case of Snakes on the Stage will have three suspects whom the player will need to talk to for the tasks aforementioned. For the cases Burying the Hatchet and Ashes to Ashes, there will be three innocent suspects to be checked up on, but one of them can't be checked up on until the other two are checked up on first. In the case The Poisoned Truth, there will be two legs - one with the killer and the innocent suspect, and the other with just the innocent suspect.
For Pacific Bay, there's no telling how many suspects will need to be checked up on and/or which ones will reward the player and/or after they player gained more information about them. There will be cases in which all of the innocent suspects will be checked up on, but only two will give rewards to the player, while others will have three innocent suspects will give the player rewards.
Be aware in certain circumstances, based on the canon's direction, you may be required to interrogate killers during the Additional Investigation. As of World Edition, you may also be required to talk to a person who was not a murder suspect (quasi-suspect) in the Additional Investigation. These quasi-suspects may also be the ones to give rewards to the player.
- In the first 41 cases, all cases require mastery stars to unlock the additional investigation with the exception of the following cases: The Kiss of Death, Innocence Lost, A Deadly Game, The Secret Experiments, The Lake's Bride, The Haunting of Elm Manor, No Smoke Without Fire, The Wollcrafts' Creature, Murder on Campus, Killing Me Softly, At the End of the Rope, The Devil's Playground, The Reaper and The Geek, Spring Break Massacre, Marked for Death, An Elementary Murder, and The Rorschach Reaper.
- Starting from At the End of the Rope, mastery stars are not required to unlock the Additional Investigation chapter, with the exception of In the Name of the Father and Monkey Business.
In just about all Grimsborough cases and some Pacific Bay cases, the Additional Investigation is unnecessary to the development of the game's story for the most part. Starting from the sixth district of Pacific Bay, however, the Additional Investigation chapters have been named differently in an effort to ensure that all chapters of each case are tied-in with the game's story and its related canon.
- Pacific Bay
- World Edition
- Mysteries of the Past
- New Haven: "A New Beginning"
- Elysium Fields: "All That Glitters..."
- Century Mile: "The Gears of Change"
- Sinner's End: "By Hook or by Crook"
- Coyote Gorge: "Once Upon a Time in the East"
- Crimson Banks: "A Plague on Both Your Houses"
- Wolf Street: "A Run for Your Money"
- Grim Chapel: "Lost Souls"
- Ivory Hill: "No News Is Good News"
- The Death of Rosa Wolf is the only case with an optional Additional Investigation.
- Starting with Corpse in a Garden, there will always be one additional investigation leg that will award you with a burger for completion of that leg. In addition, you will have one leg that rewards you with free clothes starting from The Grim Butcher.
- Effective with The Wollcrafts' Creature, the additional investigation of experience will change to a reward of an amount of coins instead.
- A Brave New World is the only case that will reward you with a burger and free clothes only.
- Victor Wollcraft is the only character that'll give you three burgers during the additional investigation.
- A Brave New World is the only case in which you are rewarded with only a burger and free clothes.
- There Will Be Blood is the only Grimsborough case to have a unique Additional Investigation cover art.
- Starting from Eurasia in World Edition, the cover art for the Additional Investigation is shared by an entire region/district.
Mysteries of the PastEdit